Company Names, addresses, dates1:
Raedy & Walsh, 703 and 705 N Capitol Street, Washington DC (1886-1887)
Thomas D. Harper, 703 and 705 N Capitol Street, Washington DC (1888)
Thomas D. Harper, 703 N Capitol Street, Washington DC (1889)
Thomas D. Harper, 821 4½ Street SW, Washington DC (1890)
Thomas D. Harper, 3129 K Street NW, Washington DC (1891-1892)
Thomas D. Harper, 3131 K Street NW, Washington DC (1893)
On January 13, 1887, Thomas D. Harper took over the bottling plant at 703 and 705 North Capitol Street from Raedy & Walsh. Harper became the Sole agent for the Philip Best brewing company, a predecessor to the Pabst Brewing Company. The establishment was a brick building supplied with steam power, and manufactured such drinks as ginger ale, lemon soda, sarsaparilla, tonic beer, etc. It also furnished Milwaukee beers including The Bohemian, the Export, the Standard, and Extract of Malt. The plant shipped to all Maryland & Virginia, and had a sub-agent at Norfolk. Mr. Harper was also an agent for the Lauer Brewing Company of Reading PA. Mr. Harper employed 22 hands in 1887. 2
According to the city directories, Pabst stayed at 703/705 N Capitol street from 1890-1917, whereas Harper seems to have gone out on his own. He's not listed in the directories after 1893, so he apparently didn't last long on his own.
book # 288
Aqua 9.25" blob-top bottle embossed:
round slug plate: T.D. HARPER / WASHINGTON D.C.
back: THIS BOTTLE / IS NEVER SOLD
base: A G W L
book # 290
Aqua 7" hutchinson bottle embossed:
round slug plate: T.D. HARPER / 703-705 N. / CAPITOL ST / WASHINGTON, D.C.
back: THIS / BOTTLE / NOT TO BE / SOLD
|This is an advertisement for the Phillp Best Brewing Company (predecessor to Pabst), with T.D. Harper listed as the proprietor. 2|